You will encounter many different forms of massage depending where around the world you travel. However in this modern age, you can probably find all significant forms of massage within a close proximity.
Introduction: Learning More About The Indian Head Massage
The Indian Head Massage, otherwise known as “champi” in India, was born a few thousand years ago and was created by mothers who used to lather different oils on their daughters hair in order to encourage growth and health. Strangely enough, it was a blind man by the name of Narendra Metha who developed the technique and formalised it into a form of massage therapy.
This massage therapy can still be seen today although has developed into what the Indian’s now call the Champissage which is basically the same technique but used with a number of different movements. Narendra Metha studied to be a physiotherapist in England and it was only when he returned to India that he studied the many benefits of the Indian Head Massage. He soon branched away from only the hair to include the face, shoulders, and neck while incorporating a few modern massage techniques like shiatsu and this further enhanced the massage to help relax nerves, create a new balance for energy, and was able to clear areas of negative energy.
How An Indian Head Massage Is Performed
An Indian Head Massage therapist focuses mainly on the three higher chakras of their patients, the base of the throat which is called the Vishuddha, the forehead otherwise known as the Ajna, and the crown otherwise known as the Sahasrara.
Chakras are the center of energy and are visualized in the share of a lotus flower. Think of a person’s head as the front of a person’s body with the stem of the flower going through the spinal column. There are 7 known chakras around a person’s body, these range from the base of the spine and go up towards the head till it finally reaches the very top of your head. An Indian Head massage therapist balances the upper most chakras, three of them in total, while the rest of the chakras start to vibrate and balance themselves out. It is with this balance that one will experience better health and well being.
In case you are unfamiliar with the Indian Head massage, you can probably liken it to reflexology. Reflexology is a massage therapy technique that is applied on a person’s feet but in fact affects the entire body. In the same vein, the Indian Head massage technique touches the entire body due to the numerous acupressure points around the head, just as there are around the feet.
The Indian Head massage may be conducted with oil, as it was originally created, but has also been done dry. Oils do tend to nourish a person’s hair while helping the nervous system come to a calm place. The roots of the hair are likewise connected to nerve fibers which also plays a role in finding inner peace.
The positive effects of the Indian Head massage are incredible! It can bring instant relief, it helps circulation in and around the head, your senses become heightened, your memory becomes clearer and you will even start to think more clearly. If you are a victim of frequent migraines, insomnia, depression, and dizziness, you can benefit from the Indian head massage as well. Some have even gone as far as to claiming that the Indian Head massage is even helpful in reducing the amount of radiation we have in our heads as a result of using mobile phones.
The Indian Head massage has helped alleviate so many discomforts in patients that even dentists are now using this technique to ease a patient’s discomfort and in-office massage therapy treatments are also using the Indian Head massage therapy which has shown to increase their employees productivity and enthusiasm.
One of the main advantages of receiving the Indian Head massage is that it can be done while sitting on a chair, without the need to remove any clothing, and does not even take a full hour to be effective.
Some Other Known Benefits of the Indian Head Massage
While we are already aware of the many benefits of the Indian Head Massage, here is an opportunity to learn even more about it. Did you know that there are further claims, with some science to back it up, that tells us that there are even more known benefits than we first thought there were? Here’s a quick look at a few more.
- The brain will receive more oxygen and glucose.
- The brain will have a higher level of pranic energy.
- Hair loss will be reduced, so will premature balding.
- Better circulation of cerebrospinal fluid.
- The removal of toxins.
- Improved eyesight, concentration, and sinuses.
- Even great for the development of infants as young as six months old.
Delving In Deeper Into The Indian Head Massage
While some may be skeptical about all these incredible benefits of the Indian Head massage, it can easily be understood why someone might not believe everything it is cracked up to be. But perhaps more information would change that belief and why should anyone not be able to benefit from this technique when it clearly does so much good.
Let’s learn more about it in this section.
- The Indian Head massage today wasn’t always what it is now. The Indian Head massage has developed over many years to becoming what it is today. Since this tradition is a part of the everyday life in India, there is no surprise that it has evolved. In India, you might even find that you would receive this massage therapy when visiting your barber or even see it being done at wedding.
- The Indian Head massage is the easiest massage therapy to apply. You don’t need to undress, you don’t need oil, and you don’t even need a massage bed to do it. Heck, you don’t even need to take an entire hour off of your day to enjoy its benefits. The Indian Head massage can be done in light clothing, can be effective even without putting oil on your hair, and is still effective even when just sitting on a chair for 20 minutes.
- You want healthy hair, get the Indian Head massage. That is correct, we said it earlier and we are saying it again, the Indian Head massage will stimulate the blood that is flowing inside of you and when this increased blood flow travels to your follicles the scalp is then loosened up and that action causes nutrients to travel to your scalp which in turn increases hair growth as well as making it stronger and even more shiny!
- Say goodbye to chronic migraines. The Indian Head massage is conducted with a number of brisk friction movements that will sooth your neck. This technique is designed to help get rid of headaches and has been proven to be very effective. Massage therapists will also tell you that if you receive the Indian Head massage regularly, then the chances of even getting a migraine are practically diminished as a result of no longer having any tension.
- The Indian Head massage is great for your eyes and sinuses. As if the existing benefits were not enough to begin with, now we also know that it works for relieving yourself from strain in your eyes as well as blocked sinuses. By working on the pressure points around the head, Indian Head massage therapists can target the areas around the eye sockets as well as the cheekbone pressure points to relieve those discomforts.
Conclusion: The Indian Head Massage: Is It For You?
We’ve seen all the advantages of the Indian Head massage and you have for sure been enlightened and inspired to start reaping the incredible benefits. But it would be wise to know if this is the right technique for you. There are certain medical conditions that may not agree with this form of therapy and it is for that reason that it is best to be knowledgeable before sitting down on a chair for your first session.
If you suffer from a spinal disorder for example, this might not be the best technique for you. Osteoporosis and arthritis are general concerns as these illnesses may call for a massage therapy session that is quite gentle. The pressure in which your massage therapist applies must also be taken into consideration as you may have pre-existing injuries or may have had age catch up with you leaving you rather brittle.
Finally, since the body releases toxins during an Indian Head massage, please wait at least a full week before going back for another. It is best to allow the body time to recover before making those toxins come back up to the top.
But if the Indian Head massage is indeed for you, then join the millions of people who are enjoying its benefits and living a more complete and celebratory life.